Bacteria identified in deadly Calif. holiday meal
A food-borne microbe is to blame for killing three and sickening more than 20 at an Antioch, California community meal gone wrong. Twenty-one people became ill after eating a Thanksgiving meal prepared by the Golden Hills Community Church. Three visitors died after eating at the gathering, according to the county coroner’s office.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has identified the bacteria as clostridium perfringens, a common foodborne pathogen associated with meats that are undercooked or held at the wrong temperature.
The meal was served to 835 people in the city’s American Legion Hall, including many assisted living residents.
The three people who died—Christopher Cappetti, 43, Chooi Keng Cheah, 59, and Jane Evans, 69—were assisted living residents who lived at either Minerva’s Place or Minerva’s Place IV, both located in Antioch. The assisted living facilities received surprise inspections from the county health department, but no violations were found, the (San Jose) Mercury News reported.
Pamela Tabar was editor-in-chief of I Advance Senior Care from 2013-2018. She has worked as a writer and editor for healthcare business media since 1998, including as News Editor of Healthcare Informatics. She has a master’s degree in journalism from Kent State University and a master’s degree in English from the University of York, England.
Topics: Infection control , Risk Management