Electric wheelchairs: A potential safety hazard
In addition to the usual potential fire hazards—careless smoking, bad wiring, space heaters and so on—found in long-term care facilities, hospitals and homes across the nation, Buffalo firefighters discovered a new cause for concern when they were called to St. Francis of Williamsville (Pa.), a 142-bed nursing home last week.
A short in an electric wheelchair ignited a small fire, which was accompanied by heavy smoke. Although the blaze was confined to one room, the facility incurred $35,000 in smoke and water damage on one residential wing.
Two residents and a staff member were taken to the hospital for treatment.
Sandra Hoban was on I Advance Senior Care / Long-Term Living’s editorial staff for 17 years. She is one of the country’s longest-serving senior care journalists. Before joining Long-Term Living, she was a member of the promotions department at Advanstar Communications. In addition to her editorial experience, Sandi has served past roles in print and broadcast advertising as a traffic and talent coordinator.
Topics: Disaster Preparedness , Risk Management