5 ways to prevent falls all year
In observance of Falls Prevention Awareness Day, Sept. 23, the National Council on Aging's (NCOA's) Falls Free Initiative is sharing tips to reduce falls all year.
“Serious falls are not an inevitable part of growing older. With education, an action plan and a support system, we all can be healthy and safe as we age,” says James Firman, NCOA president and CEO.
Here are some ways that those working in long-term care settings can reduce the likelihood that those in their care will fall:
- Eliminate tripping hazards and address other potential safety issues in the living environment.
- Offer exercise programs designed address balance, strength and flexibility issues.
- Perform falls risk assessments on all residents.
- Review residents' medications periodically to see whether they may be causing dizziness or sleepiness.
- Encourage regular vision and hearing exams.
NCOA offers falls prevention resources on its website.