Each year, the American Health Care Association/National Center for Assisted Living (AHCA/NCAL) awards program honors those who go above and beyond in caring for individuals in long-term and post-acute care centers. This year’s award recipients were chosen for their "compassionate and selfless determination to enhance the lives of the elderly and individuals with disabilities in their communities," the organization's announcement stated.
The 2013 AHCA/NCAL Awards recipients:
- Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (ID/DD) Hero of the Year: Helen Cherry, Medicalodges, Inc.; Coffeyville, KS
- Not for Profit Program of the Year: Edgemoor DPSNF; Santee, CA.
- Volunteer of the Year (Adult): Lorraine Oakes, Kindred Healthcare, Elizabeth City; Elizabeth City, NC
- Volunteer of the Year (Group): Helensview High School, Porthaven Care Center; Portland, OR
- Volunteer of the Year (Young Adult):Josh Sosebee, Life Care Center of East Ridge; East Ridge, TN
The award recipients will be honored at the AHCA/NCAL 64th Annual Convention & Expo, Oct. 6-9 in Phoenix.